1) Change each sentence from active to passive:
- The Queen opened the new hospital yesterday.
- They're going to give the prize tomorrow
- Someone had closed the door
- Lots of people have used this computer
- They're interviewing Sandra tomorrow
- They taught me to swim when I was five
- Two men were following him
- They'll paint the house in the summer
- You can buy stamps here
- They're going to close the factory next month
2)Complete each sentence with the correct form of the passive
- My car (repair)at this moment.
- A new motorway (build)here next July.
- This game can (play)by up to six people.
- Oh no! My bag (steal)!
- Ulysses (write)by James Joyce.
- Many toys (make)in China.
- England (conquer)by the Normans in 1066.
- He (attack)by a burglar when the police came and saved him.
3)Complete each sentence with one of these passive forms
- The criminal caught yesterday.
- Dogs not usually allowed in restaurants.
- By the time I got to the shop, all the bread sold.
- Two new hospitals built last year.
- You can't go in that room because it decorated at the moment.
- What language spoken in Brazil?
- At the moment, he realised that he followed.
- You can stopped by the police if you're not wearing a helmet.
- A new space station built in the year 2014.
- Hve you heard the news? Life discovered on Mars!
4)Complete each sentence with the correct active or passive forms
- In restaurants, chefs (cook)for hundreds of people.
- First the potatoes (cut)and then they (fry).
- The ozone layer (destroy)right now.
- The Museum in Bilbao (finish)in 1997.
- Frank O Gehry (finish)the Museum in 1997.
- The Museum (visit)by thousands of people since it opened.
- A new airport (build)soon in Madrid.
- In science-fiction films, the world (save)by scientists.
- The goalkeeper (save)the penalty and his team won.
- A painting by Picasso (sell)for a million dollars last week.
5)Choose the correct active or passive form in each sentence.
- He can't come now. He is speaking/is spoken on the telephone.
- The house decorated/was decorated by professionals.
- They have opened/have been opened a new sports centre.
- Police officers are questioning/are being questioned a man about the theft.
- Usually football matches played/are played at the weekend.
- That song was singing/was sung by Alan Jackson.
- Scientists think that they have discovered/have been discovered water on Mars.
6)Complete each sentence with one of these verbs in the correct form of the passive.
save - repair - write - wear - find - build
- My computer works now because it
- The new hospital isn't finished. It right now.
- Two children by firemen yesterday.
- Scientists predict that a cure for illness in the very near future.
- Shoes must not in a mosque.
- The book The Waste Land by T.S. Eliot in 1940.
7)Complete each sentence with the correct active or passive form
- Since its publication, Don Quixote (translate)into many languages.
- Most important credit cards (accept)in this restaurant.
- Computers (help)us to do many things.
- Spiderman (create)by Stan Lee and Steve Sitko.
- Students (not allow)to go home before 4pm.
- The High Street (close)to traffic tomorrow due to road works.
- Yesterday he (solve)the crossword in just ten minutes.
- Your key should (leave)at reception when you go out.
8)Change each sentence from active to passive,or passive to active.
- Bottles can't be taken into the stadium
- They will ban cars from the citycentre.
- They are going to break the computer.
- The bus services is used by thousands of people.
- They have announced the results of the competition.
- They must serve the meal straight away.
- Mozart had composed a lot of music by the age of 15.
9) Change each sentence from active to passive
- IBM will offer hera job.
- The bank gave me a loan for a new house
- The company gave me a prize when I spent 1000 pounds.
- The tour guide showed us around the city.
- The ice-cream vendor gave my child a free ice-cream cone.
- They showed him the gun that was used as the murder weapon.
- She paid the workers three months' salary when she closed down her business.
- The boss offered him a rise for his hard work.
10) Change each sentence from passive to active
- English is spoken here
- This house was built in 1900
- Your life will be changed by this book
- My brother may be given the car for the first time tonight
- Their guest were shown some photographs of the trip.
- This room is going to be redecorated soon.
11) Change each sentence from active to passive. Use the word in brackets.
- Did you take the car to the garage yesterday? (taken)
- The government should pass a law against pollution.(passed)
- They are painting their house this week.(being)
- Everyone in our school knows her well.(she)
- She didn't tell anyone about the phone call.(no one)
- The school doesn't permit smoking.(isn't)
- Do they clean the hotel rooms every day?(are)