1. Explain in your own words Whorf´s hypothesis.
Whorf though that the people was going to be different from the other, depending where they came form, this was called “ linguistic relativity”.
Also his idea was adopted by the cultivators of the “ cultural anthropology” who were interested in seeing the individuals as culture's products and this, the culture, as independent from biology.
2. Why a teacher of F.L. should be interested in Cultural Anthropology?
They should be interested because of the “ indexicality”, cultural conventions that are about how the words' meanings vary when you change the circumstances of their use.
3. Do you say in English `Celeste' as a colour in Spanish?
In my view you cannot translate it, because the English don't have that word.
4. Which are the advantages of rhythmical mnemonic resources of oral tradition in a culture or ethnic group?
They will have an inclination to speak another languages because of their oral tradition.
5. How would you translate in Spanish, ` Peter lives across the road, just opposite my cottage'?
Pedro vive al otro lado de la calle, justo enfrente de mi casa.
6. Who is Jean Piaget and where is he from?
He is a psychologist and he is Swiss.
7. Do British and nortamerican use the same word for `otoño'?
NO, the British use the word autumn and the norteamerican use the word fall.
8. Give two words in fashion in Spanish. Could you give one in any English?
“Guais”, “tíos”. No
9. Is Spanish language deteriorating? Why?
In my opinion yes, because nowadays children at school learn less literature, and language than they should do. Perhaps in one whole year a student only speaks in loud voice once or twice only in order to answer the teacher's question and not more.
10. Positive aspects of Erasmus and Socrates Programmes?
For example that 210,000 students that use that programmes and 45,000 professors are moving among different centres in Europe, and also that 200 masters have been created.
11. Are certain languages more appropriate than others for specific disciplines? Which for which?
12. Mention three Minorities Languages.
Catalán, vasco and frisón.
13. Where is Frisian spoken?
It's spoken in Freesia, a Dutch province.
14. What subject/s do you think could be taught in English in Secondary Education in Spain? Why?
Grammar, speech and writing
15. What does Innatist Theory claim?
Those children have got a language faculty inside them or innate, and just with listening to their parents they will construct different grammar structures.
16. Which is the basis for Universal Grammar?
That the children can make and interpret phrases in any natural language.
17. Which are the steps for linguistic process?
Listening, speaking, writing and reading
18. Write a metaphor in Spanish and one in English. What discipline, do you think, studies metaphors in language?
“Por el humo se sabe donde está el fuego”
19. How would you ask for a Spanish newspaper at a Spanish kiosk? Give three possibilities?
Hola, ¿ me da el periódico La Razón?, por favor.
Buenos días, ¿ seria tan amable de darme el periódico la Razón? Gracias.
Buenas, me das La Razón.
And in an English- speaking country?
Hello, can you give me The Washington Post? Thank you.
Hello, would you mind giving me the The Washington Post? Please.
Hi, give me the The Washington Post, thanks.
Specify the name of the newspaper and the country?
The first one, La Razón, is from Spain, and the second one, The Washington Post is from U.S.A.
Write a fax or e-mail in English and in Spanish, ordering some pedagogic magazine.
Hello, my name is Andres and I want the last number of your magazine, because I'm very interested in pedagogic, my address is Andrs@eresmas.es thanks.
Hola, me gustaría recibir cada mes en mi hogar su revista, debido a que estoy muy interesado en temas pedagógicos, mi dirección es Andrs@teleline.es.
20. What is Berlitz?
21. Where is Atlanta? Which is its capital?
It is in North America, and it is the capital of Georgia.
22. What discipline/s studies dumbness?
23. What is your position in relation to Secondary Schools: more subjects slightly taught or fewer more deeply worked?
From my point of view it would be better to study fewer subjects deeply because although you would learn fewer things the one you learnt would be better learnt.
24. Which subjects do you find compulsory from 12 to 18 y.o.)
Spanish, English, maths, history, biology, physical education,
25. What do you understand by Homo Ludens?
26. Which is/are the advantage/s of a schoolteacher vs. a specialist for each subject at the first cycle of Secondary School (11-14)?
In my opinion is that nowadays children don't leave school as soon as the did in the past, and with that age they don't need to master all the possible subjects, with a few of them or only with knowing them will be enough, because in the future they will keep studying so they will study those subjects.
27. What language/s are spoken in Ireland and Wales?
Irish, Gaelic, welsh and English
28. What have you understood by Functional English?
The fact of learning how to write and to speak English at the schools.
29. Has English the largest vocabulary?
30. Is it really a crazy language? Why?
Yes, because you can use a word in a compound and that word might not be in that compound.
For example in eggplant, there is no egg, neither pine nor apple in pineapple.
And also in the plurals, you don't have the same rules for all the plurals, for example the plural of tooth is teeth, but the plural of booth is booths and not beeth.
What English really reflects is the creativity of the human race, because people, not computers, have invented it.
31. Were does `hamburger' come from? What linguistic area studies origin, change, and assimilation of terms or grammatical structures?
It comes form German, I think is historic linguistic.
32. Have you read “ How to be an Alien” by George Mikes? (If not, do it)
33. Are lexicographers and semantics equal? Why?
34. What do you understand by linguistic creativity?
35. Which is the approach of Pragmatics in Linguistics? How can the former influence FLT?
36. Is it grammatically correct in Spanish: `nunca suelo ir al cine por la noche'?
Is it grammatically correct in English: `I got the castle more dead than ever'?
Are both peculiar alike? No