1. - Read the story introduction on the first page of the book, and the back cover. How much do you know now about the story? Tick one box for each sentence.
1- Dorothy wants to stay in Oz NO
2- Dorothy's brother is called Toto. NO
3- There are four witches in Oz. YES
4- The Wizard of Oz lives in the Emerald City YES
5- Dorothy makes three new friends in Oz YES
6- Dorothy's friends are children. NO
7- The road to the Emerald City is green. NO
2. - What is going to happen in the story? Can you guess? Tick one box for each sentence.
1- The witches are all bad women NO
2- The Wizard helps Dorothy and her friends YES
3- Dorothy kills someone YES
4- The Wizard kills someone NO
5- Dorothy goes home to Kansas YES
6- Dorothy's friends go to Kansas with her. NO
Read Chapter 1. Choose the correct words for this passage.
Dorothy lived in Kansas with her aunt and uncle. Sometimes there was bad weather called cyclone. When a cyclone came, people stayed in rooms under their houses. One day a cyclone came and blew Dorothy and Toto and they house in to the sky. They went to sleep and when they opened their eyes, they were in Oz. The house fell on the Witch of the East and killed her, so the people were very happy. Dorothy took the Witch's red shoes. She wanted to go home, and the good Witch said: “You must ask the Wizard of Oz for help. Follow the yellow brick road to the Emerald City.”
Read Chapter 2, and then match Dorothy's new friends with the sentences.
The Scarecrow is made of straw.
The Scarecrow has no brains.
The Tin Man hasn't got heart.
The Scarecrow is afraid of fire.
The Tin Man has an axe.
The Cowardly Lion is afraid of everything.
The Tin Man went out in the rain.
The Cowardly Lion jumped across the river
The Tin Man cut down a tree.
The Cowardly Lion made friends with Toto
Before you read chapter 3, can you guess what happens? Choose the best ending for each sentence.
1 The Wizard is C) a lot of different things.
2 The Wizard wants to see c) The four friends one by one.
3 The Wizard tells Dorothy A) to kill someone for him.
Read Chapter 3, and then answer these questions.
What did everybody in Emerald City wear?
Everything of Emerald City are green included the people and all the people have glasses.
What did Dorothy see on the green chair?
She see only a big heard. The heard is the Wizard of Oz.
What did the Scarecrow, the Tin Man and the Lion see?
The Scarecrow see a beautiful woman, the Tin man see a big animal with two heads and the Lion see a ball of fire.
Read Chapter 4. Choose the best question-word for these questions, and then answer them.
Who called the Magic Monkeys to her?
The Witch of West.
How many Monkeys were there?
They are forty Monkeys.
What did the Monkeys Break?
They broke the Tin Man's arms.
What did the Monkeys do to the Scarecrow?
They put his clouds.
Where did the Monkeys take the Lion?
They take the Lion to the dark cellar.
Why couldn't the Monkeys hurt Dorothy's shoes?
The Monkeys are hurt for the Witch's kiss.
Why did the Witch of the West want Dorothy's shoes?
Because the shoes are very magic.
Why did the Witch of the West die?
The water kill the Witch
What did Dorothy wear to call the Magic Monkeys?
She wear a magic black hat.
How did Dorothy and her friends get back to the Emerald City?
They go in the back of the Magic Monkeys.
Read Chapter 5. Are these sentences true (T) or false (F)? Rewrite the false ones with the correct information.
The wizard was afraid of the bas Witches.
The Wizard was old and doesn't have hair.
The Wizard knew a lot of magic tricks.
Before you read Chapter 6, can you guess what happens? Tick one box for each sentence.
1 The Wizard disappears in the balloon. YES
2 Dorothy and Toto get back in to the balloon. NO
3 Dorothy meets another witch. YES
4 The Magic Monkeys help Dorothy again. YES
1. What did Dorothy try to tell Aunt Em about Oz? Write out their conversation in the correct order and put in the speakers' names. Aunt Em speaks first (number 3)
What happened to you, Dorothy? Where were you?
I was in Oz
-Oz? Where's that? Is it in Kansas?
No, it's a magic country, a long way from here.
A magic country? Are you feeling all right?
I'm OK, really I am. I made some wonderful new friends in Ox. They helped me a lot.
That's nice. Where are your friends now? Did they bring you home?
No, they couldn't come with me. My magic shoes carried me.
Magic shoes? But you aren't wearing any shoes!
Oh! How strange. Perhaps they fell off.
2. Find words from the story to complete the sentences, and then the crossword (all words go across. Now can you fins the eighth word going down?
1. The Monkeys put the Lion in the cellar.
2. The monkeys helped the wearer of the black hat.
3. The friends saw the Wizard when the screen fell over.
4. The Wizard could do trick but not true magic.
5. The Wizard came to Oz in a balloon.
6. The road to the city was made of yellow bricks.
7 The old man was a good man but a bad wizard.
The eighth word going down is: EMERALD
3. Dorothy told Aunt Em about her friends, but when Aunt Em told Uncle Henry, she got a lot of things wrong. Can you find her mistakes and correct them?
“Dorothy met a Scarecrow made of straw. He couldn't eat and drink but he could talk. He had no brains, so he couldn't think. Then she met a man made of tin. He couldn't move because he went out in the rain. So Dorothy got some oil and helped him. But he wasn't happy because he had no heart. Then she met a lion. He wasn't brave. They went to see the Wizard of Oz together. When they come to a big river, the Tin Man cut down a tree with his axe and they all walked across it.
4. Here is a new illustration for the story. Find the best place in the story to put the picture, and answer these questions.
The picture goes on page 28
Who is wearing the magic hat, and why?
Dorothy in wearing a magic hat because she control the Magic Monkeys.
Who is coming out of the cellar?
The lion is coming out of the cellar.
What are the Monkeys going to do next?
They go to Emerald City with the 4 friends and Toto.
5. The Scarecrow, the Tin Man and the Lion didn't need the Wizard's help. Why not? Complete these sentences and then answer the question.
He thought of cutting down a tree to cross the river.
He didn't want to
He was frightened of falling, but he went across the river.
6. Now say what you think. Answer these questions.
1- Is it better to have brains, to have a heart or to be brave?
Are better have brains.
2- The Wizard said, “You didn't need my magic. But you're all happy now, and that's a good thing.” Was he right?
I think he is right.
3- Imagine that you can ask the Wizard for help. What are you going to ask for?
The question is: That you can do for the world peace?
7. What did you think about the people and animal in this story? Choose some names and complete these sentences. Use as many words as you like.
I liked the Lion because sometimes the people are very cowardly but they can't say.
I didn't like Dorothy because are very ingenuous.
I felt sorry for the Magic Monkeys because always develop obey to whom takes the hat.
It was angry with the Scarecrow because they only whink in he.
|Enviado por:||El remitente no desea revelar su nombre|